1. UG- Semester Wise Three years B.A Honours Course (Under CBCS, University of Calcutta)
2. Three Years B.A. Honours Course(1+1+1) , University of Calcutta
3. PG- Semester Wise Two years M.A Course (Under CBCS, University of Calcutta)
About the Department
The Bengali Department of this
college started its journey from 1879
(intermediate). Intellectuals from other disciplines
devoted their time for teaching Bengali, because the
college had no separate teacher for Bengali in its
early stage. Pandit Madan Mohan Tarkalankar, Kabi
Kamini Roy and many other reputed teachers took
regular classes for a long time in Bengali
Department for the necessary momentum. The
department formally started functioning in 1943. Smt.
Bharati Mukherjee joined as the first lecturer in
Bengali. In 1948, Prof. Lila Roy joined, followed by
Dr. Dipti Tripathi as Assistant Professor. Smt.
Sunanda Dasgupta for some time and Smt. Kamala
Kanjilal served the department for many years. The
department gathered the critical mass of faculties
in 1979, after joining of many eminent academics
such as Dr. Uma Roy, Karabi Bhattacharyya, Smt.
Sanghamitra Dutta, Smt. Chandra Mukherjee, Smt.
Shanta Sen, Smt. Krishna Palit and Smt. Banimanjari
In keeping with the NAAC Peer Team's recommendation, a Post Graduate course was introduced in the year 2014.The Post Graduate Department was granted academic autonomy and conducting the examination and being in charge of the examination process. From the session 2018-19 the PG course has been undertaken directly by the University of Calcutta. Presently the Department has nine fulltime teachers, including 3 Associate professors and 6 Assistant Professors. Eminent teachers and educationists from various fields regularly share their knowledge and skill with our students as guest faculty.
- The Department has a rich Seminar Library and a special Book Bank donated by Alumnae
- Department has projector for showing film to
The faculty members are actively involved in research and teaching activities, apart from their regular duties in college. The research areas are versatile in character in various areas of language & Literature and its multi-disciplinary components; such as- 'Marginalized Women in Literature' ,'Nineteenth Century Bengali Literature and Culture', 'Comparative Literature', 'Translation and Poetry', 'The Aesthetics and Politics of Bengali Literature in Colonial Period', 'Linguistics , Narratology and Children's Literature', 'Structure and Style of Novels', 'Translation Literature and Rabindranath as a Translator', 'On Self Translation By Rabindranath Tagore', 'The Literature of Bangladesh', 'The Psycho-Cultural aspect of Modern Bengali Literature', 'Old and Medieval Period of Bengali Literature' etc.
The teachers of the Department also participate in
various workshops, seminars and script a number of
pioneering papers on contemporary and relevant issues
they also contribute research articles in reputed
journals and books. Teachers, along with their students,
are actively involved in editing magazines and books.
The department has always attempted to inspire the
critical and analytical skills of students through
dissertation, seminar, etc.
Seminars/Conferences/Lecture organized by the department
|Funding Agency||Seminar / Conferences / Workshops with Date||Speakers|
|A National Level Seminar||"Bhakti- Droho, Prem, Nivedan"
"Deshvag O Swadhinata"
on 19th March, 2019
|Prof. Abdul Kafi, University of
Prof. Tista Das, Bankura University
|Departmental Seminar||"Rabindranather Swadesh Bhabna :
Gora, Ghore Baire"
on 18th March , 2017
|Dr. Nandini Bhattacharya
- Eminent speakers like Shaoli Mitra, popular theatre personality; Soumitra Basu, a renowned retired professor of Jadavpur University, Dr. Minakshi Sinha; distinguished retired professor and famous theatre actress, and many others have enlightened the students in special classes and seminars.
Prizes and Fellowship
1. Bani Bose Memorial Prize (Awarded to
the students securing highest marks in B.A.(Hons)
examination in Bengali
Hons.from Bethune College).
2. Jogesh Chandra Bhattacharya Memorial Prize (Awarded for highest proficiency in Bengali in B.A.Examination from
3. Kshudiram Das Memorial Prize (Awarded for highest proficiency in Bengali honours in B.A.Examination from Bethune
4. ShovaGhosh Memorial Prize (Awarded for standing first in Bengali honours in B.A. Examination from Bethune College).
5. Sudhansu Sekhar Roy Memorial Prize(Awarded for securing highest marks in Bengali honours in B.A. Examination of
3 years from Bethune College).
6. There are Staff Prizes for securing 1st class marks in B.A final year
7. Bela Datta Memorial Prize for 1st class first in M.A in Bengali from Bethune College
|Year||Candidates appeared||No of students passed||First Class||Rank|
|2015||28||27||10||1st & 6th|
|Year||Candidates appeared||No of students passed||First Class|
- Our P.G students have recently participated in the training programme on Rights of Women organized by the Women's Studies Centre and Human Development, Rabindra Bharati University and supported by National Human Rights Commission on 25th April 2018
- Ankusha Sarkar(2nd yr (H)) has own the first prize in writing Bengali Poetry Competition organized by AMITY UNIVERSITY on 7-11-2017.
- Shreosi Roy(2ndyr (H) has won the 1st prize in Essay Writing Competition organized by the Lady Brabourne College in 2018.
- Our students edit and publish their wall magazine regularly.
- The U.G and P.G students and the Departments presented the play Bhushundir Mathe on Annual Prize Day in 2014 and they also presented the play Alibaba on Annual Prize Day in 2015. The students of our Department also participated in the musical play of Rabindranather Vanga Ganer Khela in 2017.
Achievements of Pass students:
|Sl.No||Name||UG/PG with year||Academic Achievement||Present Position|
|1||Upama Simlai||UG-2015||B.Ed at Uluberia Education College||Working as an actress with the drama club 'Arunadaya Natya Sangathan'|
|2||Gargi Biswas||UG-2015||M.Phil in Bengali Jadavpur University||Member of the Editorial Board of - 'Oikahik' Sahitya Patrika|
|3||Sagarika Sardar||UG-2015||Qualified in SET Exam, 2019||Member of the Editorial Board of - 'Oikahik' Sahitya Patrika|
|4||Somali Bhattacharya||UG-2015||M.A.||Editor of the little magazine 'Oikahik' Sahitya Patrika|
|5||Arundhuti Saha||UG-2016, Qualified in SET Exam, 2019||M.A.||Editor of the Bengali little magazine 'Parertrum'|
|6||Akaslina Dhole||PG-2018||M.A.||Currently pursuing M.Phil in Amity University|