Three year Honours Degree Course (Calcutta University).
U.G. General Course for students with Honours in other Science subjects, viz., Physics, Mathematics, Botany and Zoology.
History of the DepartmentThe history of Chemistry Department dates back to 1923 when the college was first affiliated to Intermediate Science with only one teacher named Sri Santosh Kumar Banerjee. Prof. Ashima Chatterjee, an eminent scientist was a student of I.Sc. course of this college. Prof. Debi Chakroborty, Emeritus Professor (M.Sc., P.R.S., D. Phil (Oxford) C. Chem, FRIC (London)) took charge of the department in the year 1945. In addition to normal teaching in Chemistry, there was a research laboratory attached to the department where PG research work was carried on under her guidance. Some students like Prof. Roma Sur, Dr. Anjali Ghosh got their doctorate degrees from this laboratory. The college was affiliated to B.Sc. pass course in 1958 and in 1961 the department began the Honours course in Chemistry with four staff members, which was increased to fourteen in 1975. During the last five decades many teachers retired and some new teachers joined either by transfer or as fresh appointment. Department of Chemistry passed fifty four successful years which shaped so many young minds in the field of chemistry. The alumni from this department have proved themselves in different academic and non academic fields.
Research and Extension Activities
Dr. Srirupa Banerjee runs a Fast Track DST Project for Young Scientist, entitled "Visible light photoredox catalysis: Towards an environment friendly approach to organic synthesis".
|Sl. No.||Funding agency||Date||Seminar/ Conferences/ Workshops||speakers|
|1||UGC-CPE||10th Dec, 2010||One-Day Seminar to Commemorate 150th Birth Anniversary of A.P.C. Ray||
1. Prof. Syamal
Chakraborty, Dept. of
2. Prof. R. N. Majumder, Dept. of Chemical Technology, CU
|2||UGC||15th & 16th Dec, 2011||UGC-Sponsored National Seminar on "Journey of An Atom through 100 Years" to celebrate IYC||1. Dr. Pradipta
Professor, JNU, New
2. Dr. Manojit Pal, Head, Department of Organic and Medicinal Chemistry, Institute of Life Sciences, Gachibowli, Hyderabad
3. Dr. Abhisek Dey, Assistant Professor, IACS, Jadavpur, Kolkata4. Professor Susanta Lahiri, SINP, Kolkata
4. Prof. Susanta Lahiri, SINP, Kolkata
|3||UGC-CPE||Sep., 2013||Invited Talk on "Stereochemistry: An Overview" and on "Bonding in Boranes" in the Departmental Seminar||1. Prof. Subrata
2. Dr. Sanchita Goswami
|4||UGC-CPE||28th January, 2016||Lecture on “Learning Chemistry in the Computer age” in the Departmental Seminar||Prof. Uday Maitra, IISC, Bangalore|
|5||Co-sponsored by RSC||Sep. 9, 2016||One-Day National Seminar on "Recent Advances in Life Science in the Light of Chemistry"||1. Dr. Jyotirmayee
Professor, Department of
Organic Chemistry, IACS,
2. Dr. Sagar Pal, Associate Professor, Department of Applied Chemistry, ISM Dhanbad (IIT), Jharkhand
3. Dr. Ambika C. Banerjee, Former Corporate Advisor - R & D, East India Pharmaceuticals Works Ltd.
- Smart class room with ICT facility
- LCD projector
- Spectrophotometer UV-Vis
- Conductivity meter
- Digital Balance (High Precision)
- Distillation unit
There are a well-maintained Seminar Library of 265 text and reference books as well as a Book Bank having 103 books, from both of which students borrow books regularly.
- Santosh memorial Medal (Highest marks in Chemistry Honours in the B.Sc. Examination from this college)
- Puspa Das and Dipali Das Memorial Silver Medal (Highest marks in Chemistry Honours Practical in the B.Sc. Examination from this college)
- Radharani Bhattacharya Memorial Silver Medal (Highest Proficiency in Chemistry Honours in the B.Sc. Examination from this college)
- Special Staff Prize (Students securing first class in the B.Sc. Honours Final Examination from this college)
- Shibnarayan Chakraborty Memorial Prize (Highest Proficiency in Chemistry Honours in the B.Sc. Examination from this college)
- Kamalabala Mukherjee Memorial Scholarship (award for standing 1st in Chemistry Honours in the B.Sc. Examination from this college)
- Netaji Prize (awarded for Highest Proficiency in Chemistry Honours in the B.Sc. Examination from this college)
UG Honours syllabus of Calcutta University
Other Academic Websites :
Students Achievements :
- Debarati Das and Sreemoyee Chakraborty secured the First and the Second ranks respectively in the B.Sc. Part-III Final Examination, 2016.
- Accompanied by a teacher Dr. Supriti Paul, students of the department Sucheta Biswas & Debleena Ghosh (2nd year) Sampita Paul & Rittwika Pan (1st year) participated in XXX Training Programme on Science on 11.02.17 at Bose Institute, Kolkata jointly organized Indian Science News Association & Vigyan Prasar, DST,Govt. Of India, New Delhi.
- Ritobrata De & Rittwika Pan of UG II won the First Prize in the Inter-College Debate organized by Bethune College commemorating the 150th Birth Anniversary Celebrations of Sister Nivedita.
- Debarati Das (2016 pass out) received Principal’s Award for achieving the highest proficiency among all the B.Sc. honours students from Bethune College in the CU Part-III Exam, 2016.
- Ritama Kar (3rd Year) was awarded the Nalini Das Award for best all round performance by Part II student (B.A & B.Sc).
- Ritobrata De (2nd Year) received Rabindra Satobarshiki Puroskar in 2016.
- Debleena Ghosh, Ritobrata De and Priya Bhandari (all from 2nd Year) participated in the 21st All India Chemiquiz organized by Department of Chemistry, Presidency University on 18th April, 2017 and secured the second position in the said quiz competition.
- Students of first and second year actively
participated in various Co-Curricular and
Extra-Curricular Activities held within the
campus. Following are the individual
achievements by them.
Sl. No. Name Year Event Position 1 Bortika Sanyal 1st Eastern Vocal 3rd 2 Rittwika Pan 1st Western Vocal 2nd 3 Sanandita Hazra 2nd Eastern Dance 3rd 4 Annesha Chattterjee & Annesha Datta 2nd Antakshari 1st 5 Gargi Day & Debleena Ghosh 2nd Antakshari 3rd 6 Swagata Roy 2nd Recitation 3rd 7 Ritobrata De & Sucheta Biswas 2nd Quiz 2nd 8 Ritobrata De & Sucheta Biswas 2nd Treasure Hunt 1st 9 Ritobrata De 2nd Bengali Creative Writing 1st 10 Ritobrata De 2nd Painting 1st 11 Swagata Roy 2nd Debate 1st
College Fest AALAP - 2016
Sl. No. Name Year Event Position 1 Rohi Naushin 1st Mehendi 3rd 2 Ritobrata De 1st Extempore 3rd
Sl. No. Name Year Event Position 1 Ankita Sinha 1st Shot Put 3rd Ankita Sinha 1st Long Jump 3rd 2 Sucheta Biswas 2nd 100mt Run 2nd
Apart from taking part in different in-house events, our
students also participated enthusiastically in various
cultural as well as sports activities outside the
campus. Following is the list of such achievements worth
INTER COLLEGE COMPETITION-2016
Sl. No. Name (Students of first year) Year Event Position 1 Ankita Sinha 1st Badminton (Single)
Scottish Church College Fest
2nd 2 Ritobrata De 1st Creative Writing (Inter College Creative Writing Competition by Writers' Block "REFULGENCE" 2nd 3 Ritobrata De & Rittwika Pan 2nd Debate (Celebration of Sister Nivedita’s 150th Birth Anniversary)
Against the motion & For the motion
4 Sayantika Bhakta, Srijita Basu & Tiyasha Mondal 3rd Poster Competition of undergraduate level (Topic : Hydrogen Bond) in the One Day National Seminar held in Chemistry Department organised on 09.9.2016 1st 5 Rittwika Pan, Puja Pal and Bortika Sanyal 1st Quiz competition held in Cultvision -17 organised by Research Scholars Association (IACS) on 24th-25th March, 2017 3rd 6 Rittwika Pan 1st Creative writing (Topic: Cinema) held in Cultvision - 17 organised by Research Scholars Association (IACS) on 24th-25th March, 2017 1st
- 1st Year students Rittiwika Pan, Sreshtha Ganguly & Bartika Sanyal have performed as Bethune Choir Member in various cultural events held during 2016-17.
- An excursion was organised for departmental teachers, staff and students at Garh Mirzapur, Howrah on 14th January, 2017.
- Soumi Ghosh, Plabani Manna, Sanchaita Paul and Srijita Basu of 3rd year were among the recipients of INSPIRE Scholarship in 2016.
- Shreyasree Saha and Sampreeti Roy, students
from the 2017 pass out batch, have been
recruited by the Tata Consultancy Services
through our campus recruitment programme.
University Results - Part- III Honours
|Year of Passing||No. of Students Appeared||1st Class||Highest Marks (%)|
Debarati Das secured 88% in Part-II Honours Examination, 2015 and became Calcutta University topper. Soumi Kolay secured the 2nd position in Calcutta University scoring 81% marks in Part-I Honours Examination, 2015.
Contact us : firstname.lastname@example.org