Three years Bachelor Degree Computer Science Honours. (B.Sc.) with Mathematics and Physics as general subjects.
Computer Science Pass offered for the students of Mathematics, Physics, Economics and Statistics Honours students.
About the Department
Bethune College was the first government college under University of Calcutta to offer a degree in Computer Science (Honours). The department was officially inaugurated in the year 2002 and almost every year since its inception, the department has produced C.U. rank holders. The number of seats was first increased to 15 in the year 2006, and then slowly increased over the years to the current figure 23, in the year 2016. The infrastructure needed for the rising number of students was also enhanced accordingly. In the year 2008 the department also started offering a pass course to the honours students of other related Science subjects (Maths, Economics, Physics, and of late Statistics), to meet the demands of a growingly computer dependent age.
The strengths of the department are :
- A very healthy student teacher ratio of about 12:1. This results in the students getting the much needed personal attention, inside and outside of the classroom.
- The fee structure is also minimal (the lowest,
in fact) compared to other colleges offering
Computer Science (Hons.) course under University of
Calcutta. This helps us to attract the meritorious
students from the weaker sections of the society.
Research and Extension Activities
The department tries to arrange talks and lectures, where eminent speakers from universities are invited to speak on recent and upcoming trends in Computer Science. List of such talks:
- In the year 2014 the topics were "Basic Concept of Embedded System" and "An Overview of Image Processing".
- In the year 2017 the topics were "Social Network Analysis" by Dr. Sarbani Ghosh, and "Remote Healthcare Facilities: Challenges and Opportunities" by Dr. Nabendu Chaki.
The department also helped 20 of its brightest students attend a special one day workshop sponsored by IEEE WIE Affinity Group (Kolkata Chapter), and organized by the Department of Computer Science & Engineering, University of Calcutta. The topics were "System design using FPGA development board' and "Experiments with Cloud Services".
From the year 2017 our department has decided to start its very own wall magazine "Tech-Tonic", written and designed by our own students, to broaden our minds regarding various recent trends in technology.
We also like to have a little fun in between our
hectic academic schedules, and so we diligently organize
an annual departmental picnic.
The department is suitably equipped to meet the demands of the University of Calcutta undergraduate course. The department has
- Air-conditioned software laboratory as per demands of the C.U syllabus.
- Air-conditioned hardware laboratory as per demands of the C.U syllabus.
- Well-stocked departmental library to cater to the needs of the students any day of the week. This is in addition to the central library which the students can access on pre-assigned days only.
- In the recent times, the department has acquired an LCD projector which helps the teachers to teach through PowerPoint presentations.
- A water filter for clean drinking water, for the
use of both teachers and students.
- The department has a special staff prize for the top five students securing 1st class marks in the 3 year B.Sc (Hons.) programme.
- The department has also initiated a special
departmental alumni prize from the year 2018,
awarded to the pass-out student securing highest
marks in practical papers, all through the 3 year
B.Sc (Hons.) course. This has been done keeping in
mind the importance of practical papers in our
Syllabus :Computer Science (Honours and General) C.U syllabus
Important Links with reference to the syllabus :
A list of meritorious students of the department since its inception -
- Sayantani Ghosh (2006) - B.Sc rank 3rd, M.Sc rank 4th.
- Nidhi Maheshwari (2007) - B.Sc rank 1st. Also awarded the "Ganesh Chandra Das &Pratima Das Memorial Medal" for securing first position among all B.Sc graduates in year 2007.
- Madhurima Ray (2007) - B.Sc rank 6th, B,Tech rank 2nd, M.Tech rank 1st. Currently pursuing PhD in Temple University, U.S.A.
- Papiya Senmajumdar (2008) - B.Sc rank 5th, M.Sc rank 6th. GATE qualified 2010. NET qualified 2012.
- Srijoni Maitra (2008) - B.Sc rank 7th, M.Sc rank 3rd. GATE qualified 2010 & 2012. NET qualified 2012.
- Nayana Das (2008) - B.Sc rank 9th, M.Sc rank 2nd.
- Angana Chakraborty (2009) - B.Sc rank 1st, M.Sc rank 1st. Awarded P.C.Chandra gold medal for excellence in 2009. Qualified GATE in 2011 and NET in 2013.
- Priyanka Das - B.Sc rank 7th, M.Sc rank 4th. Qualified GATE in 2011 and NET in 2012.
- Sriparna Chakraborty - B.Sc rank 8th.
- Rupkatha Guha (2009) - M.Sc rank 3rd. Qualified GATE in 2011.
- Nabanita Das (2011) - B.Sc rank 3rd.
- Rishika Sen (2012) - B,Sc rank 6th.M.Sc rank 9th. Qualified GATE in 2014. Currently JRF in ISI, Kolkata.
- Tapadyuti Bannerjee (2013) -B.Sc rank 2nd. Was awarded P. C. Chandra gold medal in excellence in 2013.
- Debasmita Bhoumik (2013) - B.Sc rank 1st. UGC NET qualified.
- Pooja Sengupta (2013) - B.Sc rank 6th.
- Enakshi Ghosh (2015) - B.Sc rank 4th.
- Joyita Saha(2015) - B.Sc rank 7th.
- Raktima Barman (2016) - B.Sc rank 5th, 2018 UGC NET qualified.
- Rusha Biswas (2016) - B.Sc rank 6th
- Soumi Sarkar (2017) - B.Sc rank 2nd
- Ritwika Majumdar (2017) - B.Sc rank 8th
- Shramana Dey (2017) - 2018 UGC NET qualified.
- Debanwita Dutta (2018) – B.Sc rank 1st
Since the very beginning of the department (i.e. 2005), on campus recruitment by I.T companies has played a major role in providing jobs to the students who are interested in taking the plunge into the corporate world. For the first 3 years Cognizant Technology Solutions (CTS) absorbed a high percentage of the 3rd year pass out students. Then, from the year 2008, every year, Tata Consultancy Services has arranged an on campus recruitment drive for all final year students having maths as a subject, with special attention given to Computer Science (Honours) students. This is a matter of pride for us.
In case of any query or inconvenience, please free to contact us in the email-id given below. We will get back to you as soon as possible. This email id is specific to the Department of Computer Science (Bethune College). email@example.com
The year 2018 has been very special for our department. Students from our department have secured the 1st position in Part-1, Part-2, and Part-3 B.Sc. examinations held under University of Calcutta, undergraduate studies. B.Sc. Part-3 needs special mention, with 4 rank holders from our department, inside the University top 10.
Results :The final year result of the department of the last 5 years is given as follows
|SESSION||NO. OF STUDENTS APPEARED FOR B.SC PART-III||NO. OF STUDENTS QUALIFIED FOR B.SC PART-III||NO. OF FIRST CLASS||NO. OF RANKS IN CALCUTTA UNIVERSITY|