Three years Bachelor Degree Computer Science Honours. (B.Sc.) with Mathematics and Physics as general subjects.
Computer Science Pass offered for the students of Mathematics, Physics, Economics and Statistics Honours students.
About the Department
The University of Calcutta decided to start an undergraduate course in Computer Science (Honours) in the year 1996. Soon, more and more colleges decided to incorporate this course to cater to the rising need of a degree in Computer Science. Bethune College was the first government college under University of Calcutta to offer a degree in Computer Science (Honours). The department was officially inaugurated in the year 2002, and started taking baby steps with only 10 seats being sanctioned in the first few years of its existence. The very first computers were donated by the husband of Late Papiya Dutta (Roy), who was an alumna of this college.
Almost every year since its inception, the department has produced C.U. rank holders, and in most years more than one in number. The number of seats was first increased to 15 in the year 2006, and then slowly increased over the years to the current figure 20, in the year 2014. The infrastructure needed for the rising number of students was also enhanced accordingly. In the year 2008 the department also started offering a pass course to the honours students of other related Science subjects (Maths, Economics, Physics, and of late Statistics), to meet the demands of a growingly computer dependent age.
The strengths of the department are :
- The very healthy student teacher ratio of 10:1. This results in the students getting the much needed personal attention, inside and outside of the classroom.
- The fee structure is also minimal (the lowest, in fact) compared to other colleges offering Computer Science (Hons.) course under University of Calcutta. This helps us to attract the meritorious students from the weaker sections of the society.
- Also, the average age of the teachers being below 30, helps in better student teacher rapport, which is reflected in the result.
Research and Extension Activities
The department organises field trips relevant to the subject. Also, arranges yearly student seminar, which helps a student not only to explore the subject beyond the syllabus, but also learn how to present a certain topic in front of an audience. This is a scope for the students to experience public speaking. Also, special seminars are arranged from the CPE fund, where eminent speakers from universities are invited to speak on recent and upcoming trends in Computer Science. The last one held was in 2014, and it was on two topics - "Basic Concept of Embedded System" and "An Overview of Image Processing". The students are greatly benefited from these seminars as they get to know about the various research areas where Computer Science as a subject is applied, and how.
The department is also thinking of starting its very own wall magazine which will cater to the unquenchable thirst of the students to learn more about the recent technological vistas being explored. It will also be a space for them to express their thoughts about how technology can be used to better their daily lives.
The department is suitably equipped to meet the demands of the University of Calcutta undergraduate course. The department has
- Air-conditioned software laboratory as per demands of the C.U syllabus.
- Air-conditioned hardware laboratory as per demands of the C.U syllabus.
- Well-stocked departmental library to cater to the needs of the students any day of the week. This is in addition to the central library which the students can access on pre-assigned days only.
- In the recent times, the department has acquired an LCD projector which helps the teachers to teach through PowerPoint presentations.
- A water filter for clean drinking water, for the use of both teachers and students.There are a well-maintained Seminar Library of 220 text and reference books as well as a Book Bank having 100 books, from both of which students borrow books regularly.
The department has a staff prize for all the students who pass out with a 60%, i.e. a first class in their honours course.
Syllabus :Computer Science (Honours and General) C.U syllabus
Links to study materials :
A list of meritorious students of the department since its inception -
- Anushka Jaiswal was selected byTata Consultancy Services on campus recruitment drive.
- Nidhi Maheshwari (2007) - B.Sc rank 1st. Also awarded the "Ganesh Chandra Das & Pratima Das Memorial Medal" for securing first position among all B.Sc graduates in year 2007.
- Madhurima Ray (2007) - B.Sc rank 6th, B,Tech rank 2nd, M.Tech rank 1st. Currently pursuing PhD in Temple University, U.S.A.
- Papiya Senmajumdar (2008) - B.Sc rank 5th, M.Sc rank 6th. GATE qualified 2010. NET qualified 2012.
- Srijoni Maitra (2008) - B.Sc rank 7th, M.Sc rank 3rd. GATE qualified 2010 & 2012. NET qualified 2012.
- Nayana Das (2008) - B.Sc rank 9th, M.Sc rank 2nd.
- Angana Chakraborty (2009) - B.Sc rank 1st, M.Sc rank 1st. Awarded P.C.Chandra gold medal for excellence in 2009. Qualified GATE in 2011 and NET in 2013. Currently pursuing PhD in ISI, Kolkata.
- Priyanka Das - B.Sc rank 7th, M.Sc rank 4th. Qualified GATE in 2011 and NET in 2012.
- Sriparna Chakraborty - B.Sc rank 8th.
- Rupkatha Guha (2009) - M.Sc rank 3rd. Qualified GATE in 2011.
- Nabanita Das (2011) - B.Sc rank 3rd.
- Rishika Sen (2012) - B,Sc rank 6th.M.Sc rank 9th. Qualified GATE in 2014. Currently JRF in ISI, Kolkata.
- Tapadyuti Bannerjee (2013) -B.Sc rank 2nd. Was awarded P.C.Chandra gold medal in excellence in 2013.
- Debasmita Bhoumik (2013) - B.Sc rank 1st.
- Pooja Sengupta (2013) - B.Sc rank 6th.
- Enakshi Ghosh (2015) - B.Sc rank 4th.
- Joyita Saha(2015) - B.Sc rank 7th.
Since the very beginning of the department (i.e. 2005), on campus recruitment by I.T companies has played a major role in providing jobs to the students who are interested in taking the plunge into the corporate world. For the first 3 years Cognizant Technology Solutions (CTS) absorbed a high percentage of the 3rd year pass out students. Then, from the year 2008, every year, Tata Consultancy Services has arranged an on campus recruitment drive for all final year students having maths as a subject, with special attention given to Computer Science (Honours) students. This is a matter of pride for us.
In case of any query or inconvenience, please free to contact us in the email-id given below. We will get back to you as soon as possible. This email id is specific to the Department of Computer Science (Bethune College). email@example.com
One of our 1st year student Priyosmita Nandy was stood Second in Inter College Badminton Competition
Another student of 2nd year of our department Sohini Banerjee got First prize in the event of Vocal music both Eastern and Western in Inter College Vocal Music Competition.
Results :The final year result of the department of the last 5 years is given as follows
|SESSION||NO. OF STUDENTS APPEARED FOR B.SC PART-III||NO. OF STUDENTS QUALIFIED FOR B.SC PART-III||NO. OF FIRST CLASS||NO. OF RANKS IN CALCUTTA UNIVERSITY|