Three year Honours Degree Course (Calcutta University).
U.G. General Course for students with Honours in other Humanities/Science subjects.
About the Department
The Department of Economics, Bethune College, Kolkata, was established in the year 1917. Though, initially only General course in Economics was offered in the Department, later in 1963 Economics was introduced as an Honours subject. The Department has four sanctioned teaching posts with one Associate Professor and three Assistant Professors presently serving the Department. The Department of Economics, Bethune College is dedicated in providing the best of education. The students have a good relationship with the teachers and the teachers interact with them beyond class hours. The teachers try to inculcate research orientation among the students and encourage them to undertake projects in various socio-economic fields. Interaction with other academic institutes as well as corporate houses through invited lectures and workshops are encouraged.
Research and Extension ActivitiesResearch
The teachers of the department engage themselves in active research. The Department has ongoing projects funded by UGC and other funding bodies. Dr. Satarupa Bandyopadhyay is the co-investigator of a Major project titled 'Evaluation of Access to Medicine and Diagnostics in Government Hospitals in West Bengal' funded by National Rural Health, Department of Health, Government of West Bengal. Dr. Maitri Ghosh is the Principal investigator of a Minor Research Project titled 'FDI, MNE Activity and Technology Spillovers in Post-reforms Period: A Study of Indian Manufacturing Industries' funded by UGC. Smt. Mahuya Chakrabarti is the Principal investigator of a Minor Research Project titled 'Future Pricing Strategy for the Emerging Digital Distributors of Television Content in India: A Case Study in West Bengal' funded by UGC. Dr. Suranjana Dasgupta, Dr. Maitri Ghosh and Dr. Satarupa Bandyopadhyay of this department have also completed Minor and Major Research Projects in the previous years. The faculty members of the Department have publications to their credit in several National and International journals and books.
The Department organizes various student Enrichment Programmes including workshops, seminars and special lectures. Experts from different universities and institutions deliver lectures in these Programmes which turn out to be of immense benefit for the students. Educational tours are also conducted by the Department. The students of this Department participate in various events organized by institutions like Jadavpur University and St. Xavier's College among others. Debate, Quiz, Poster Writing, Paper presentation, Essay Writing are some of the important events of student participation
The Economics department is endowed with good infrastructural facilities. There is a very rich library for the use of the students and the faculty. The departmental library has 288 books and there is also a book bank with 127 books. Apart from this there is a Central library which the departmental students and teachers can access. This library has 4581 books from different branches of Economics. Further the students and teachers have access to internet facility. A Student-teacher ratio of 21:1 is maintained in this department.
- Nilmoni Mukherjee Prize
- Purnima Ghosh Award
- Srabanti Bannerjee Memorial Prize
- Sacchidananda Ghosh Memorial Prize
- Special Staff Prize from the department.
The students of our department are our real asset. After graduation, many of them have pursued higher studies and/or secured respectable job placements in both Government and corporate sector.
- This year, our ex-student Somdutta Banerjee has completed her Ph.D. from CU.
- Pallavi Julasaria, Diti Goswami and Sangita Poddar are pursuing their Ph.D. under Junior Research Fellowship in CU, CDS, Kerala, and JU respectively.
- Bidisha Bhattacharya has been selected as a research assistant in the Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs, Govt of India.
- Moutrisha Ganguly is pursuing Ph.D. at Kalyani
University, she has a number of papers published to
her credit already including one in the
peer-reviewed journal Heritage, published by Bethune
College. Shreshtha Hajra, Debopriya Paul and Arshiya
Halder also have the credit of having their paper
published in Heritage.
Co-curricular Activities :
- Medha Chatterjee of Second Year, has secured Second Position in the Inter-College Policy Document Competition 2017 organised by St. Stephens College, Delhi.
- Maithilee Mukherjee, Second Year, has been awarded First position in the Essay Writing Competition, Scriptus in Confluence 2017 by St. Xavier's College, Kolkata.
- Arundhati Mukherjee, Third year, has won the Second Prize in Bengali Essay section in the Sister Nivedita 150th Birth Centenary Inter-college Essay competition 2017 organised by Bethune College.
Besides academic and co-curricular fields, our students have always excelled in extra-curricular activities as well:
- Monisha Sen of Second year, has won the titles of "Sharad Sundari" 2017 ‘Femina Stylista’2017 and Miss Kolkata Rhapsody 2017 in Rhapsody, Inter-college Fest of Calcutta Medical College.
- Samadrita Dey, Solanki Roy, Tanaya Gupta, Ananya Sen, Meghna Nirmal and Poulami Sengupta were members of the winner ‘Team Bethune’ in the Inter-college Fashion Show competition in Rhapsody.
- Solanki Roy Third year, has been awarded best model in Ecstasy 2017, Inter-college Fest of NRS Medical College.
Important Links :
Examination related links.
Economics (Honours), University of Calcutta
|Year||No of First Class||Rank if any|
4th and 5th
Seminars held :
Economics (Honours), University of Calcutta
|1||21.11.2017||One-day Seminar||Dr. Kumarjit Mandal, Department of Economics, Calcutta University||GST: An Economic Evaluation|