Three year Honours Degree Course (Calcutta University).
U.G. General Course for students with Honours in other Humanities subjects.
About the Department
The history of the Department of Philosophy, initially known as 'Mental and Moral Philosophy', spans throughout the last 107 years and it is a matter of great pride to highlight the continuity of the educational vis-ā-vis teaching standard and the academic performance of the department. The Department was established in 1908 when Philosophy as a subject was introduced in the intermediate classes. Two years later in 1910 it was taught as a General subject in B.A. Pass Course. Philosophy as an Honours subject began its journey in 1923.
Our Department has surely contributed a lot in the field of women's education and emancipation in India as well as in Bangladesh. This department may surely boast of its illustrious alumna. To mention a few:
- Smt Tatini Das (Gupta) : A student of this department she stood First both in I.A. Examination in 1914 and B.A. Honours Examination in 1916. She became the Principal of this college during 1934-1950.
- Prof. Akhtar Imam, graduating in1937 became Professor & Head of the Department of Philosophy, Dacca University.
- Dr. Hamida Khanam: She had passed B.A. Examination with Distinction from Bethune College In 1952 she went to Columbia University as Full-Bright fellow. She became the Principal of Home Economics College, Dacca. Pakistan Govt. awarded her Gold Medal for her contribution in education in 1969.
- Sm. Nalini Das, a student of our department, joined as a Member of Faculty & later became the Principal of Bethune College (1968-1974).
- Prof. Pushpa Misra graduating in1961was also a Member of Faculty & became Principal Bethune College (1997-2002). She is a practicing Psychoanalyst.
It is one of the very unique features of this
department that students are encouraged to organize
debate, discussions in class on topics of their own
choice. Students regularly achieve top ranks in their
University Examinations. The department arranges Invited
lectures by eminent University and College teachers who
mainly speak in topics included in the syllabus.
The teachers guide their students towards developing their talent in various fields by involving them in extension activities like play-acting, recitation, singing, dancing, creative writing in Wall-Magazines and similar other activities.
The faculty members keep themselves occupied in research activities. They have contributed articles in reputed Journals in addition to publication of books. They are also involved in editing Journals and books published from this Institution. Teachers of this department partake in Faculty Improvement Programmes like Orientation Programmes and Refresher courses from time to time. They also join National, International or State level Seminars organized by different Universities and Colleges. The following may be mentioned as main research/ extension activities of Philosophy department during last ten years:
- Ongoing UGC Minor Research Project - Religion & Morality as a social phenomenon : An Interpretation by Dr. Sudeshna Mitra since 2014
- UGC Minor Research Project completed on Modern Metaphysician Tool to Dissipate Universals by Dr. Sebanti Bhattacharya, 2007
- Dr. Gopa Gupta awarded Ph.D from Jadavpur University, Kolkata, 2007
- Dr. Kanya Sengupta awarded Ph.D from Jadavpur University, Kolkata, 2006
- Smt. Piyali Das-Project fellow under DRS SAP PHASE-I at Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata 2006 - 2009
The department keeps a constant vigil for Student enrichment. The following Seminars/ Workshops/ Lectures were organized in the recent past:
- UGC Sponsored Interdisciplinary National Seminar on Religion & Popular Culture in the Indian Sub-continent, 2010
- Govt. Sponsored State Level Interdisciplinary Workshop on Awareness on Rights of Women: Myth or Reality, 2008
- 6 Invited Lectures funded by UGC- CPE and 7 Special Lectures delivered by eminent academicians were arranged. Students are also kept involved with Students' Seminars and Debates.
- In May 2014, 1st year students were taken to Psychology Department for a Practical Demonstration.
- As part of Extension activity, Teachers of Department made an educational trip to Science City with just passed out 3rd Yr Hons students in July, 2015. Students along with teachers visited Swami Vivekananda Ancestral Home & Cultural centre, Kolkata in 2013. A trip to Bandel Church & Hansheswari Temple, Hooghly and An educational tour to Shantiniketan, Bolpur were held in 2011 and 2010 respectively
- The department has its separate staff-room with a computer, printer and internet facility and also a microphone and sound box.
- The students have access to computers and internet in the Central Library and Computer Lab.
- The Humanities building (Vidyasagar Bhawan) has its own photocopying machine used by faculty.
- The students as well as teachers lend books from the Central Library which has a collection of more than 5500 books. Moreover they have access to Departmental Library and Book Bank. The former has a stock of around 400 books and a few journals whereas the latter has 219 books and 112 journals.
Scholarships/ Fellowships/ Prizes
- Papri Bhadra Memorial Excellence Gold Medal for Highest proficiency in Part-III Honours University Exam.
- Papri Bhadra Memorial Excellence Silver Medals for Highest proficiency in Part-II & Part-I Honours University Exam.
- Tatini Das Memorial Medal awarded to the student who stands 1st in Philosophy Honours University Exam.
- Debiprasad Sen Memorial Prize for Highest proficiency in Part-III Honours University Exam.
- Departmental Staff Prizes to all students securing 1st class in Part-III Honours University Exam.
Important Links :
Link to: Calcutta University Philosophy UG syllabus
Examination related links.
Students Achievements :
The department is proud of its student Priyadarshini Das of UGI who is a National level Table Tennis Player. She has been
- Gold Medalist in West Zone, Gujarat, Youth Girls' Singles Champion
- Silver Medalist in East Zone, Aizwal, Youth Girls' Singles Runner up
- Silver Medalist, Youth Girls' Doubles Runner up, in 78th Junior & Youth National and Inter State Table Tennis Championships 2016-17, Gujarat
- Bronze Medalist, Youth Girls' Team in 78th Junior & Youth National and Inter State Table Tennis Championships 2016-17, Gujarat
- Our student Sangita Paul stood first among B.A. Honours Graduates of Bethune College in the University Examination 2015. She was the proud recipient of Sunanda Dutta Smriti Swarna Padak, Papri Bhadra Memorial Excellence Gold Medal and Tatini Das Memorial Medal. She was also awarded Malati Bhattacharya Memorial Prize, Mrinalini Emmerson Memorial Prize, Ramjitendra Ghosh Memorial Prize and Debiprasad Sen Memorial Prize for Highest proficiency in Part-III Honours University Examalong with departmental Staff Prize.
- Sushmita Singha, at present a IIIrdyr Honours student, was declared the Individual Champion in Annual Sports Meet for last two consecutive years, i .e., 2015 and 2014 and was the recipient of the prestigious Shyamacharan Ghosh Memorial Prize, Sachinath, Radhaballabh and Suradhani Basak Memorial Prize and Champion's Trophy.
- 1st year student Sangita Chanda along with faculty members participated in the Kolkata District Youth Parliament Session held in Ashutosh College in November 2015.
Students of the department secured the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 7th and 11th ranks in the B.A. Part III Final Examination, 2016.
The department of Philosophy was declared the Inter- Departmental Champion in Annual Sports Meet for last two consecutive years, i .e., 2015 and 2014 and was awarded the prestigious Major Maya Ganguly Memorial Inter Departmental Champion's Trophy.
University Rank and 1st Classes achieved by the students in B.A. Final PHILOSOPY(Honours) Exam, University of Calcutta
|Year||No. of 1st Classes||University Ranks|
|2015||6||Not yet known|
|2014||7||3rd, 5th, 9th|
|2012||4||2nd, 3rd, 9th|