Three year Honours Degree Course (Calcutta University).
U.G. General Course for students with Honours in other Humanities/Science subjects.
About the Department
In the year 1960, B.Sc. Physics (Pass) course under the University of Calcutta was introduced then in 1967 Honours Course affiliated to the same University was started under the leadership of Prof. Chameli Basu the then Head of the Department along with her worthy colleagues Dr. Annapurna Sarkar, Smt. Pratibha Dasgupta, Prof. Shovana Mukhopadhyay and others. Since then this department produced lots of brilliant graduates, majority of them pursue higher education and research in different reputed universities and institutes such as Calcutta University, Jadavpur University, different Central Universities, IITs, IISc, TIFR, SINP and abroad.
Research and Extension Activities
- Dr. Sourav Ganguly attached to the Nuclear Physics Division, Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata since 2007 as a visiting scientist and carried out his research on study of Nuclear structure in mass A=80-110 region using gamma ray spectroscopy as a tool.
- Dr. Sourav Ganguly after successful completion of two UGC project (One UGC Minor Research Project and another UGC-DAE Collaborative Research Scheme) started his new UGC-DAE-CRS three year project entitled 'Study of Interplay between single-particle and collective modes of excitation in neutron deficient Zr and Nb isotopes' from January 2014.
- Smt Gopa Bhowmik pursuing her Ph.D from Jadavpur University under Professor Arghya Deb on Experimental High Energy Physics. Very recently she has published a paper in European Journal of Physics A.
Microphone with amplifier
Water Purifier with cooling system for Staff and Students
10 desktop computers, 1 laptop computer, 4 printers and 1 scanner,Internet facilities
Well equipped laboratory
Rich seminar library in addition to college library
A special book bank donated by Alumnae
Number of Text and Reference Books on Physics:
- Central Library : 5300
- Departmental Library: 275
- Book Bank : 250
- Laboratories : Electrical (3), Non Electrical (1), Electronics (1), Optics (2) and Computer Lab (1)
- The Chhanda Mitra (mother of one of our alumnae) Memorial Prize and Stipend were introduced in 2011 by her husband Swapan Kr. Mitra. The prize is awarded to the overall topper in B.Sc, Physics Honours Examination and the stipend is to be given on merit-cum-need-basis to final year student.
- Every year a scholarship amounting to Rs. 3000/- approximate is donated by the alumni fund and is given to a needy student/s of final year.
- Chameli Bose Memorial Prize : Introduced in 1971, awarded to the topper in Physics Honours in B.Sc. final year examination (Part-III).
- Hirendranath Bose and Chameli Bose Memorial Prize (introduced in 2005) : Awarded for highest proficiency in Physics Honours in the B.Sc. Examination.
- Kamalmani Sharma memorial Prize (introduced in 2007) : Three prizes are awarded to students securing highest marks in Physics, Zoology and Computer Science Honours.
- Special Staff Prize : Awarded by the teaching staff of Physics Department to all students securing first class in B.Sc. Honours Examination.
Link for Honours and General Syllabus :
Link for study materials :www.ugc.ac.in/subpage/EContent-URL.aspx
Achievements of Past Students
- Sanchari Thakur (2013 batch): Calcutta University 1st class first (2015), CSIR NET rank 22, currently pursuing research at VECC, Kolkata.
- Suparna Sarkar (2013 batch). CSIR NET rank 48. Currently pursuing research at IIEST Shibpur.
- Suchira Sarkar (2013 batch): CSIR NET qualified. Currently pursuing research at IISC Bangalore.
- Riya Dutta (2013 batch): CSIR NET qualified. Currently pursuing research at IISC Bangalore.
- Madhurima Pandey (2013 batch): CSIR NET qualified. Currently pursuing research at SINP Kolkata.
- Sanchari Pal (2013 batch): CSIR NET qualified. Currently pursuing research at IIT Kanpur.
- Six 1st year students participated in C.K. Majumdar Memorial workshop on Experimental Physics jointly organized by Bangabsi College and Indian Association of Physics Teachers (IAPT) from December 21 to December 23, 2016.
- Four students 1st year participated in the Inter College Physics Quiz Competition organized by Ramkrisha Mission Residential College, Narendrapur on August 23, 2016. Shalini Maji and Priyanka Sen got fourth position among 60 participating teams.
- Ajanta Barch : Calcutta University 1st class fourth (2008), stood 1st in M.Sc. (IIT, Delhi) and 121th in NET, 2010 and doing Ph.D.at IIT Delhi
- Dipshikha Debnath: Ph.D. at University of Florida, USA
- Ahana Chakraborty : Calcutta University 1st class first (2012), awarded PC Chandra Medal for the year 2012 and at present doing Ph.D. at TIFR, Mumbai.
- Dipanwita Bhattacharya: Calcutta University 1st class 2012, doing Ph.D. at Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore
- Monalisa Singh Roy : Calcutta University 1st class 2012, doing Ph.D. at S.N.Bose Centre for Basic Science, Kolkata. Topped in Debate at the Science Day Celebration at VECC in March, 2010 and also topped at INFOCOM Innovation Hub organized by The Telegraph in January, 2010.
- Fifteen of our students of 2010-2013 batch have qualified for master's level through JAM and GATE.
- Soma Chakraborty was selected as a Ph.D. fellow by Academy of Sciences of Czech Republic, Prague.
- Aditi Mukhopadhyay (2007 batch) joined Baylor University, Texas for Doctoral Research Programme.
- Eeshita Manna (2007 batch) joined Iowa State University for Doctoral Research Programme.
- Sudeshna Ganguly (2007 batch) joined Wayne State University, Michigan
Achievements of Present Students
- Garima Rajguru and Anjali Bhatter of 2nd year were selected and participated in the prestigious Undergraduate Associateship program in physical sciences at Saha Institutre of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata in 2017.
- Six 1st year students participated in Science quiz competition at RKM, Narendrapur on 4th September, 2017 and reached the final among top 5 teams.
- Sayani Das, 1st year student presented a poster in 24th National conference on liquid crystals (NCLC-2017) organized by Dept. of Chemical Sciences, IISER Mohali in association with Indian Liquid Crystal Society in October, 2017.
- More than ten students from each year of students are awarded Inspire scholarship.
- Garima Rajguru of 2nd year was awarded Jagadish Bose National Talent Search award in 2017.
- Priyanka Saha of 1st year got Jagadish Bose
National Talent Search Bigyani Kanya Medha Britti
SEMINARS (in recent years):
- 3rd "Ananta Kumar Sarker & Snehalata Sarker Memorial One Day Seminar for the Advancement of Knowledge in Physics” was conducted by the department on 11th November, 2017. The first lecture titled "Indian Scientific expedition to Antarctica-A Brief Overview” was delivered by Dr. Sudipta Sasmal of Indian Centre for Space Physics, Kolkata. The second lecture titled "Particle Hunter's Guide” was delivered by Prof. Naba Kumar Mondal, Saha Institutre of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata.
- The 11th Chameli Bose Memorial Lecture was held on 13th January, 2018. Dr. Saswati Dasgupta, retired Associate Professor of Rammohan College delivered a lecture entitled "Measurement, its beauty in physics".
- A departmental seminar was organized o 14th February, 2017. Dr. Shubhankar Ghosh, Associate Professor of St. Xavier's College delivered a lecture on "Physics of Sports”.
- Ananta Kumar Sarker & Snehalata - Sarker Memorial One Day Seminar for the Advancement of Knowledge in Physics was conducted by the department. The First Lecture "Quantum Physics and Nanoscience" was delivered by Prof. G. P. Das, Senior Professor, Department of Materials Science, Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, Kolkata. The second lecture titled "Challenges in Astronomy" was delivered by Dr. Debi Prasad Duari, Director (Research and Academic), M.P. Birla Institute of Fundamental Research, Kolkata.
- First Annual "Ananta Kumar Sarker &
SnehalataSarker Memorial One Day Seminar for the
Advancement of Knowledge in Physics" was organized on
22nd September, 2015. This seminar was funded by the
endowment created by Dr. Annapurna Sarker, Retired
Professor of the Department in memory of her
The First Lecture, "Mysterious Space Time -Hundred Years of General Relativity & Beyond"was delivered by Prof. SoumitraSengupta, Senior Professor, Department of Theoretical Physics, and Dean (Academic Affairs), Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, Kolkata
The Second Lecture, "White LED and LASER -An Emerging Lighting Technology"was delivered by Prof. Prasanta Kumar Basu, Retired Professor, Department of Radio Physics & Electronics, University College of Science & Technology, Kolkata.
- The 8th Chameli Bose Memorial Lecture was held
on 13th Dec 2014. Dr. Ratanlal Brahmachari delivered
a lecture entitled "Fifty years of Tiger Research in
The 12th Annual Reunion of the Department was celebrated on the same day.
- The 7th Chameli Bose Memorial Lecturewas held on
21st Dec 2013. Prof JayshreeBasakfrom J. C. Bose
Institute Kolkata delivered her talk on Thalassemia.
The 11th Annual Reunion of the Department was celebrated on the same day.
- The 6thChameli Bose Memorial Lecture was delivered by Prof. Supratik Pal, ISI, Kolkata on Gravitation and in December 2012.
- Students' Seminar:Students' Seminars are organized regularly. First Year students presented their talks on many interesting topics of Physics in September 2014.
OTHER ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
- Members of Faculty attended lectures on astronomy delivered by Jayanta Narlikar at ISI (10 Feb 2012)
- Students of the department have attended lectures by eminent international professors, Amitava Roy Chowdhury and Frederick Rholf, organized at Lady Brabourne College and Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics.
- Organised invited lectures by Scientists from India & Abroad.
- Visit to Research Laboratories.
- Participation of Students in Seminars, Workshops, Academic Contests in other Institutions.
- Department acts as a centre for N.G.P.E. conducted by the Indian Association of Physics Teachers.
- The departmental reunion is regularly organized by the alumni of the department with spirit and enthusiasm since 2003
- Ten students from 2nd Year participated the National Science Day Celebration on 28th February, 2015 at Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, Kolkata. The students have shown active interest by participating in a debate competition entitled "Nuclear Energy is the energy for the future".
Golden Jubilee Celebration of Physics Honours Teaching (1967-2017)
The physics honours course began its journey in the
department of physics, Bethune College in the year 1967
under the exemplary leadership of Prof. Chameli Basu.
The department celebrated the golden jubilee year of
this glorious commencement throughout the academic year
2017-18. The celebration was inaugurated on 11th
November, 2017 by felicitating the respected teachers
and members of that era. On the same day 3rd “Ananta
Kumar Sarker & Snehalata Sarker Memorial One Day Seminar
for the Advancement of Knowledge in Physics” was
conducted by the department. The second phase was
celebrated on 8th January, 2018 by students' seminars
and debate program. The concluding ceremony was held on
13th January, 2018 by organizing the “11th Chameli Bose
Memorial Lecture” and departmental reunion by our
Result of Final University Examination (last five years)
|Year.||No. of students appeared||First Class||Rank|
|2013||25||17||3Rd, 4th& 12th|