Three year Honours Degree Course (Calcutta University).
U.G. General Course for students with Honours in other Humanities subjects.
About the Department
The Political Science Department of Bethune College, was established in 1960. The Honours course was introduced in the department in 1965. Since then, informative lectures along with ample study material have been provided by the esteemed faculty members to the students which has helped the department to maintain a consistent record of academic success over the years.
Students in the department are motivated to pursue higher studies to enhance their knowledge and compete in various national and state-level administrative services examinations. With this aim in mind, the departmental teachers organize class lectures, along with inter disciplinary classes, interactive sessions, use of political maps, discussion on current affairs, tutorial classes, power point presentations through which the students can get a broader perspective of the latest socio-political developments.
Research and Extension Activities
- All the teachers of the Department are engaged in research and academic activities. Some of them also deliver lectures as resource persons. All the teachers have publications in various books and journals to their credit.
- The Department of Political Science proudly celebrated its Golden Jubilee under C.U. on 26.11.2010 and organized a one day seminar on this occasion. The participants also got a chance of a grand reunion. Eminent resource persons graced the occasion with their erudition.
- An UGC seminar on "Religion and Popular Culture" was organized by the Department of Political Science along with the Departments of English and Philosophy, on 07-08 December, 2010. The seminar was graced by eminent scholars from national and international universities.
- Since 2001, the Department has been conducting
two endowment lectures each year.
- Papiya (Dutta) Roy Memorial Lecture (2001 till date)
- Srabonti Banerjee Memorial Lecture (2001-2014)From 2015 the department will be conducting only one endowment lecture "Papiya (Dutta) Roy Memorial Lecture".
- Renowned Academicians are invited to deliver lectures to enrich both the students and the teachers. Prof. Amal Kumar Mukhopadhyay, Prof. Mohit Bhattacharya, Prof. Sobhanlal Dutta Gupta, Prof. Rakhahari Chatterjee, Sri Debesh Das are a few of them.
- 11th Papiya Dutta Roy Memorial Lecture was delivered by Dr. Minakshi Singha on topic: Bartamane Rabindranather Prasangikata.
- 11th Srabonti Banerjee Memorial Lecture was delivered by Dr. Sima Kundu on topic: Swami Vivekananda-A few words on Socialism.
- Dr. Pushpa Mishra, former Principal of Bethune College, delivered the 12th Papiya Dutta Roy Memorial Lecture in 2013 on "Suicide".
- Dr. Shyamali Sarkar, Former HOD, Dptt. of Political Science, Bethune College delivered the 12th Srabonti Banerjee Memorial Lecture in 2013 on "Judicial Behaviour - A Sociological Analysis".
- The department has organized a series of invited lectures where Dr. Shyamali Sarkar, Dr. Rajasri Basu, Dr. Peu Ghosh have delivered their lectures.
- Dr. Kushanava Chaudhury, a visiting Fellow of Centre for Studies in Social Sciences and Prof. Sobhablal Dutta Gupta have also delivered the Papiya (Dutta) Roy Memorial Lecture and Srabanti Banerjee Memorial Lecture respectively.
- Students are encouraged to present seminar papers on topics related to current affairs and of national and international relevance.
- News reading sessions are held at regular intervals to help the students become conversant with local, national and international news.
- Wall magazines on various political matters are prepared by the students of the department at regular intervals.
- The Department has been provided with computer and internet facility.
- The Central Library has a very good collection of books related to the subject. The Department also has a good Seminar Library and Book Bank to help the students all through the year. The seminar library has around 405 books and the book bank has around 150 books plus 66 journals.
- Papiya Dutta Roy Memorial Gold Medal is awarded to the student who secures highest marks in B.A. Political Science Honours Examination from Bethune College.
- Papiya Dutta Roy Memorial Prize for standing first in B.A. Part-I, Political Science Honours Examination.
- Papiya Dutta Roy Memorial Prize for standing first in B.A. Part-II, Political Science Honours Examination.
- Papiya Dutta Roy Memorial Prize for standing first in B.A. Part-III, Political Science Honours Examination.
- Lalgopal Mukherjee Memorial Prize is awarded for highest proficiency in Political Science Honours in B.A. Examination from Bethune College.
- Bharati Dasgupta Memorial Prize is awarded for good academic performance in Political Sc
- There are also special staff prizes for students securing First Class marks in B.A. Part-III, Political Science Honours Examination.
- The department inspires the students to pursue higher education.
- The students are also involved in extra and co-curricular activities. The students participate in Intra college competitions and Annual Festival of the College Aalap and have won several prizes at various competitions.
- The students participate in Interdisciplinary Certificate Course on Ethics and Value Education organized jointly by the Department of Political Science and Philosophy in collaboration with the Women's Studies Centre, Bethune College.
- All the students take Computer course (Basic) and some take advance Computer course at the Webel Computer Training Centre located in the College.
- Students of the Department of Political Science have presented papers on "Women and Empowerment" in a seminar entitled "Journey of Women Beyond Equality and Empowerment" organized by Women Studies Centre, Bethune College on 23.03.11.
- Sraboni Ghosh was awarded a prize for an essay competition titled "Satabarsher Pritilata"organized by Paschimbanga Ganatantrik Mahila Samiti-Uttar Purba Zonal Committee.
- Ranita Das won the prestigious Nalini Das Memorial silver medal for being the Best All Rounder, Bethune College 2012.
Results of Political Science Honours Part III (Last 5 years)
|Year||No. of Students Appeared||Secured First Class|