B.A. 3 years Honours Course
B.Sc. 3 years Honours Course
Two years Post-Graduate Course (M.A and M.Sc) in Applied Psychology (affiliated to the University of Calcutta).
About the Department
The Department of Psychology, Bethune College was
started in 1961 offering Pass Course at B.A. / B.Sc.
level under the Headship of Sm. Arati Das. Smt.
Bharati Pal and Smt. Basantika Lahiri joined the
department in 1963. The Honours Course in Psychology
was started with the initiative of Prof. Pushpa
Mishra, the then Principal of Bethune College, and
the then Head of the Department, Dr. Syamali Sen in
1999 with 15 students. Currently the total No. of
seats for the Honours Course is 36.
The Department has started Post Graduate Programme in Psychology from the session 2015 - 16 under University of Calcutta with specialisation in: Organisational and Environmental Psychology.
Total number of seats - 10
Research and Extension Activities
- Dr. Nilanjana Bagchi and Dr. Syamali Sen has completed minor research project titled 'A study to evaluate the trend of empowerment of rural and urban poor women with respect to self esteem, achievement motivation, entrepreneurship, social support, leadership effectiveness and decision making' Funded by UGC Women Study Centre, 2009.
- Dr. Nilanjana Bagchi and Dr. Syamali Sen has completed minor research project titled 'An Exploration To Evaluate The Effect of Training Programme On Empowerment of Women Residing In Some Rural Slum Areas Of West Bengal With Reference To Certain Psychological Variables' Funded by Women's Studies Research Centre, (WSRC) C.U, 2008.
- "Disability: A Battle with Reality" UGC Sponsored State Level Seminar in collaboration with the Dept of Psychology, University of Calcutta, held in 11.12.2009.
- "Works of Professor Sigmund Freud": To commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Sigmund Freud, held in 2.2.2007.
- "Crime and Punishment" held in 19.12.2007.
- "Awareness about the role of psychologists in present day organization (Awareness lecture sponsored by Dept of Higher Education, Govt. of West Bengal" held in 11.03.2008.
- "Pain Disorder: A Psychodynamic Perspective" held in 02.02.2009.
- Workshop on Honours Practical syllabus in collaboration with the Dept of Psychology, C.U. held in 31.01.2011.
- Looking at the reality from a girl's perspective: Jafar Panahi's "The White Balloon" held in 01.03.2011.
- "Psychology and industry" held in 11.08.2012.
- "Memory and Meta cognition" held in 21.01.2014.
- The Department of Psychology organized a two days Industrial Visit to the Dishergarh Power Supply Corporation at Asansol for the students of the Department in November 2016. The tour was aimed at providing the students an overview of the operation of an organization from a Psychologist's perspective.
- The Department organized a two days Visit to Bishnupur in West Bengal, a place of historical significance, for the students of the Department in November 2012.
- The Department organized a two days academic excursion to Vishwa Bharati University at Santiniketan in 2013.
- Well equipped laboratory
- One air conditioned laboratory
- Books in departmental library: 200
- Books in book bank: 82
- Air conditioned counselling room
- Facilities available: LCD projector, 6 computers and one laptop, photocopy machine, scanner and printer.
- Shabnam Basu has qualified UGC NET in July, 2016
- Debaparna Mukherjee has been appointed as Academic Associate in Organizational Behaviour area in IIM Ahmedabad on 20.06.2016.
- Shabnam Basu has admitted as PhD Fellow in Department of Humanities and Social Sciences at IIT Kanpur on 19.12.2016
- Husena Dhariwala ranked First class Third in B.A./B.Sc. Part III Psychology Honours Examination, 2016 in University of Calcutta
- Marsha Sabreen Rahman has awarded the Individual Sports Champion in College Sports, 2016 and representing Bethune College in University of Calcutta.
- Psychology Department was declared Champion
in the Bethune College Annual Sports, 2016
Results of the department: (last three years)
|Academic Year||B.A.||B.Sc.||Rank in C.U.|
|1st Class||1st Class|
|2014 - 2015||40%||57%||(Rank certificates yet to be submitted)|
|2013 - 2014||40%||58%||1st, 3rd (Rank certificates yet to be submitted|
2012 - 2013