Dr. Saswati Laha
|Designation||Assistant Professor in West Bengal Education Service|
|Qualification||First class in M.Sc. in Botany, Visva Bharati
Ph.D, Bose Institute (2005)
|Specialization||Cytogenetics, Molecular Biology and Plant Biotechnology|
07 years of teaching experience including 02 years of postgraduate teaching.
- Durgapur Govt. Colleges: 2008 - 2013
- Bethune College: 2013-till date
- Interested in Molecular biology of plant stress tolerance.
- Ongoing Research Project: UGC minor Research project vide Ref. No. PSW-046/ 13-14 (ERO) ID NO. WC2-021 DATED 18th March 2014 Titled: Characterization of Genetic Diversity of selected rice (Oryza sativa L.) landraces of West Bengal in relation to salinity stress tolerance and accumulation of higher polyamines.
- Oral presentation entitled "Enhancement of polyamine content in plant to make them salt tolerant" on UGC sponsored National Seminar' Plant science Research in human welfare" held at Bidhannagar Government College 11th&12th July, 2012
- Participated in the winter workshop on "Modern Biology & Development of Research Programme" under UGC Resource networking Programme held at School of Life Sciences, JNU, New Delhi, 14-16th December 2009
- Paper presentation "Characterization of S-adenosyl-L-Methionine decarboxylase and spermidine synthase in polyamine deficient mutant strain of E.coli"in the UGC sponsored national seminer on stress, drug development and nanotechnology, Bethune College, Kolkata, March 5-6th, 2009.
- Supervised PG dissertations in Bethune College.
Some Important Publications
- Laha S and Gangopadhyay G.SNP based haplotyping towards development of salt tolerant rice. Heritage, Vol.III 153-158 ISSN: 2349-9583, 2016.
- Characterization of Plant S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine Decarboxylase and Spermidine Synthase in Polyamine Deficient Mutant Strain of E. Coli. Laha Saswati , Sen Saswati, Ghosh Bharati and Sengupta Dibyendu N, International Research Journal of Biological Sciences, Vol. 3(8), 60-68, August (2014).
- An Introduction on the GM Debate in India. Heritage: Vol.I.143-148 Laha S. ISSN: 2349-9583, 2014.
Gene Bank Submission
- Laha. S. et al, (2005) cDNA of S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase from Oryza sativa var. Pokkali Gene bank Accession No. AY966487.
- Laha S. et al, (2006) tSPDScDNA was isolated from total extracted from young leaves of Niccotiana tabaccum. Gene bank Accession No. DQ536198