Dr. Saswati Laha
|Designation||Assistant Professor in West Bengal Education Service|
|Qualification||First class in M.Sc. in Botany, Visva Bharati
Ph.D, Bose Institute (2005)
|Specialization||Cytogenetics, Molecular Biology and Plant Biotechnology|
07 years of teaching experience including 02 years of postgraduate teaching.
- Durgapur Govt. Colleges: 2008 - 2013
- Bethune College: 2013-till date
Interested in Molecular biology of plant stress tolerance
Completed UGC minor Research project vide Ref. No. PSW-046/ 13-14 (ERO) ID NO. WC2-021 DATED 18th March 2014 Titled: Characterization of Genetic Diversity of selected rice (Oryza sativa L.) landraces of West Bengal in relation to salinity stress tolerance and accumulation of higher polyamines.
Act as Organizing Secretary in The National Seminar on "Urban Diversity : documentation and Conservation" in collaboration with West Bengal Biodiversity Board on 6th & 7th March, 2018, at Department of Botany, Bethune college.
Participated in a Refresher Course in Biotechnology, Calcutta University from 06.11.17 to 26.11.17.
Presented poster on “A Study on in-vitro plant regeneration, screening of phytochemicals and stress response of Bacopa monnieri (L.) Pennell, a medicinally priced plant” in National Seminar on “Advances in biology: Exploitation of Phytoresources” 2nd and 3rd November, 2017 in Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Govt. College, New Town, Kolkata.
Act as coordinator in athe Workshop on ‘Herbarium
Techniques and Plant Nomenclature’ from 4th to 5th May
2017 in collaboration with Central National Herbarium,
Shibpur, at Bethune College, Kolkata
Presented poster entitled 'Antiviral plants: a promising tool to drug development' in the International seminar on “Recent trends in microbiology”, 14th January 2017, at Department of Microbiology, Ramkrishna Mission Vidyamandir.
Presented poster on “Characterization of plant S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine Decarboxylase and Spermidine Synthase in polyamine deficient mutant strain of E. coli.” in the International Conference on “The green planet: past, present and future”, 21st- 23rd December, 2016 at Department of Botany, University of Calcutta.
Oral presentation entitled "Enhancement of polyamine content in plant to make them salt tolerant" on UGC sponsored National Seminar' Plant science Research in human welfare" held at Bidhannagar Government College 11th & 12th July, 2012
Participated in the winter workshop on "Modern Biology & Development of Research Programme" under UGC Resource networking Programme held at School of Life Sciences, JNU, New Delhi, 14-16th December 2009
Paper presentation "Characterization of S-adenosyl-L-Methionine decarboxylase and spermidine synthase in polyamine deficient mutant strain of E.coli"in the UGC sponsored national seminer on stress, drug development and nanotechnology, Bethune College, Kolkata, March 5-6th, 2009.
Supervision of Post-Graduation (M.Sc. in Botany, Bethune College under University of Calcutta) dissertations:
- In vitro regeneration and preliminary phytochemical analysis of Bacopa monnieri, a medicinally priced plant
- Comparative study of albumin and globulin protein profiling of six germplasm of Phaseolus vulgaris
- Establishment of an efficient shoot regeneration system of Bacopa monnieri.
- In silico characterization of Spermidine synthase, an important enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis pathway
- Understanding the role of polyamines in plant stress tolerance.
- Study on highly valuable medicinal herb - Bacopa monnieri (Linn.) Pennell.
- Identification of rice germplasms associated with microsatellite (SSR) markers for salt tolerance.
- The study of genetic diversity in selected rice (Oryza sativa L.) genotypes in relation to salinity stress tolerance
- Survey of rice landraces with salinity stress specific molecular marker
- A discourse on the ‘GMO GUIDELINE PROJECT’ and
an introduction on the ‘GM DEBATE’ in India (Review
Some Important Publications
- Laha S and Gangopadhyay G.SNP based haplotyping towards development of salt tolerant rice. Heritage, Vol.III 153-158 ISSN: 2349-9583, 2016.
- Characterization of Plant S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine Decarboxylase and Spermidine Synthase in Polyamine Deficient Mutant Strain of E. Coli. Laha Saswati , Sen Saswati, Ghosh Bharati and Sengupta Dibyendu N, International Research Journal of Biological Sciences, Vol. 3(8), 60-68, August (2014).
- An Introduction on the GM Debate in India. Heritage: Vol.I.143-148 Laha S. ISSN: 2349-9583, 2014.
Gene Bank Submission
- Laha. S. et al, (2005) cDNA of S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase from Oryza sativa var. Pokkali Gene bank Accession No. AY966487.
- Laha S. et al, (2006) tSPDScDNA was isolated from total extracted from young leaves of Niccotiana tabaccum. Gene bank Accession No. DQ536198