Dr. Sritama Mukherjee
|Designation||Assistant Professor in West Bengal Education Service|
|Qualification||First class in M.Sc. in Botany, Burdwan
Ph.D, Bose Institute-Calcutta University (2014)
|Specialization||Molecular Biology, Biotechnology and Microbiology|
1st appointment in Bethune College: 2015-till date.
- Oral presentation on : "In silico characterization of Spermidine Synthase, an important enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis pathway" in AICCG and International Symposium on "Translationg genes and genomes" 29-31 , January, 2018 in IICB, Kolkata. Presented posters in National Seminar on "Advances in biology: Exploitation of Phytoresources" 2nd and 3rd November, 2017 in Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Govt. College, New Town, Kolkata. Participated in an Orientation Programme at UGC-Human Resource Development Centre, Burdwan University, from 01.08.2017 to 28.08.2017. Presented poster on "A Study on in-vitro plant regeneration, screening of phytochemicals and stress response of Bacopa monnieri (L.) Pennell, a medicinally priced plant" in National Seminar on "Advances in biology: Exploitation of Phytoresources" 2nd and 3rd November, 2017 in Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Govt. College, New Town, Kolkata
- Oral presentation on ''Galactinol and Raffinose family oligosaccharide: Functional preference for higher plants? in International Symposium, "The green planet: past, present and future", 21st- 23rd December, 2016 at Department of Botany, University of Calcutta.
- Presented poster on "Expression of rice galactinol synthase genes: a form of regulated unproductive splicing and translation (RUST)? In International symposium on "Insight to plant biology in the modern era", 8-10 February, 2017 at Bose Institute, Kolkata. Presented poster entitled 'Antiviral plants: a promising tool to drug development' in the International seminar on "Recent trends in microbiology", 14th January 2017, at Department of Microbiology, Ramkrishna Mission Vidyamandir.
- Delivered a lecture on 'Women and Nature' on an awareness programme on gender inequality, on 11th March, 2016 at Chandernagore college.
- Participated in the UGC sponsored National Seminar on "Teaching Botany in 21st century: prospects and challenges", 6th-7th August, 2016 in Bidhannagar College and presented poster on 'Antidiabetic plants: sustainable use, conservation and future prospects' in UGC sponsored National Seminar- "Medicinal plants, health and environment", 9th-10th September, 2016 in APC College, New Barrackpore
- Presently working on the current status of inositol metabolic engineering in rice plants with special emphasis on galactinol synthase pathway. Also interested in plant abiotic stress biology and in vitro regeneration and exploration of endangered /medicinally important plant species.
- Presented paper on 'Galactinol Synthase: Evolution and diversification among different species' in National Conference on 'Recent trends in Plant and Microbial Sciences' organized by Botany Dept., Burdwan University, March, 2011.
- Presented posters on 'Engineering Inositol Metabolism for Improved Plant survival under abiotic stress' in International symposium entitled 'Dialogue on Designer Rice', organized by ICRISAT, Hyderabad, July,2012; 'Galactinol Synthase: Evolution and diversification among different species' in International Conference on 'Plant Science in Post Genomic Era, organized by Sambalpur University, February, 2011; 'Transgenic approach to increase salt tolerance in rice by modulating the myo-inositol biosynthetic pathway' in International Symposium on 'A journey from Plant Physiology to Plant biology' organized by Bose Institute, Kolkata, Nov,2008.
- Attended workshops on 'Bioinformatics in Evolutionary Studies', organized by Bioinformatics Dept., Kalyani University, Feb, 2010; 'Mass Spectrometry and its applications' organized by NEHU, Shillong, March'2013.
- Supervised PG dissertations in Bethune College.
Some Important Publications
- Das M, Chattopadhyay D and Mukherjee S .In vivo and in vitro propagation of economically important Cajanus cajan varieties. Heritage, Vol.III 144-152 ISSN: 2349-9583, 2016
- Mukherjee S, Sengupta S and Majumder AL. Complex-Multilevel regulation of gene expression in plants: a general overview. Heritage, Vol.II.127-134 ISSN: 2349-9583, 2015.
- Chattopadhyay D, Mukherjee S. and. Sanyal S. Study of Algal Biodiversity of the CoochBehar Block, District Coochbehar, West Bengal. Heritage,Vol.II.109-118 ISSN: 2349-9583, 2015.
- Sengupta S, Mukherjee S., Basak P and Majumder AL Significance of galactinol and raffinose family oligosaccharide synthesis in plants. Frontiers in Plant Science, 2015, doi: 10.3389/fpls.2015.00656,
- Mukherjee R, Mukherjee S, Chattopadhyay D, Basak P, Adak S, Sengupta S and Majumder AL. Improvement of plants through biotechnology: An assessment of the present status. Vegetos 26 Vol. (Special): 01-20 (2013).
- Chatterjee J, Patra B, Mukherjee R, Basak P, Mukherjee S, Ray S, Bhattacharyya S, Maitra S , Ghosh Dastidar K, Ghosh S, Sengupta S, Majumder AL, Cloning, characterization and expression of a chloroplastic fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase from Porteresia coarctata conferring salt-tolerance in transgenic tobacco. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture, September 2013, Volume 114, Issue3, pp395-409.
- Goswami L, Sengupta S, Mukherjee S , Mukherjee R, Ray S and Majumder AL, Targeted expression of L-myo- inositol 1-phosphate synthase from Porteresia coarctata (Roxb.) Tateoka confers multiple stress tolerance in transgenic crop plants. Journal of Plant Biochemistry and Biotechnology, (July-September 2014) 23(3):316 - 330.
- Sengupta S, Mukherjee S, Goswami L, Sangma S, Mukherjee A, Mukherjee R, Ray N, Basak P, Majumder AL, Manipulation of Inositol Metabolism for Improved Plant survival under Stress: A "Network Engineering Approach". Journal of Plant Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 2012, Volume 21, Issue 1 Supplement, pp 15-23.
- Sengupta S, Mukherjee S, Parween S and Majumder AL, Galactinol synthase across evolutionary diverse taxa: Preference for higher plants? FEBS Letters, 2012, Volume 586, pp1488 - 1496.Equal contributors.
- Mukherjee S, Ghosh S, Sadhu S, Ghosh P and Maiti TK, Extracellular polysaccharide production by a Rhizobium sp. Isolated from legume herb Crotalaria saltiana Andr. Indian Journal of Biotechnology, 2011, Volume 10, pp 340-345.