Dr. Sulakshana Karmakar
|Qualification||M.Sc. (Organic Chemistry Specialization)
(University College of Science and Technology, C.U.,
Ph.D. (Studies on Reactions and Synthesis of Aromatic Heterocycles) (Department of Chemistry, Bose Institute with NET-CSIR Fellowship, 2010).
I joined W.B.E.S. as Assistant Professor in Chemistry in Bethune College in May, 2009 and since then I have been teaching Organic Chemistry in UG Honours level.
I am actively engaged in teaching in the B.Sc. (Chemistry Honours) level. My teaching courses include Reaction Mechanism, Reactive Intermediates, Substitution, Elimination, Addition reactions, Retrosynthetic analysis of Organic Compounds, Organometallics and their reactions, Enolate ion chemistry, Nitrogenous Compounds, Aromatics and Heterocyclic Chemistry. I am involved in teaching application of 1H-NMR and IR Spectroscopy in Organic Chemistry included in the Practical UG Honours syllabus.
- M. Chakrabarty*, A. Mukherji, S. Karmakar, R. Mukherjee, K. Nagai, A. Geronikaki and P. Eleni, "An expedient synthesis of novel 2-substituted thiazolo[4,5-f]isoquinolines/quinolines and benzo[1,2-d:4,3-d′]bisthiazoles and their potential as inhibitors of COX-1 and COX-2" - ARKIVOC, xi, 265-290 (2010) (ISSN 1551-7012).
- M. Chakrabarty,* S. Karmakar, R. Mukherjee, S. Arima and Y. Harigaya, "A mild and expedient one-pot synthesis of substituted benzimidazoles in water using a phase transfer catalyst" - Monatshefte fur Chemie, 140, 375-380 (2009).
- M. Chakrabarty,* S. Karmakar, S. Arima and Y. Harigaya, "One-pot formation of functionalised 2-piperidinones from arylidenecyanoacetates and methanolic ammonia via tandem reactions" - Heterocycles, 73, 795-804 (2007).
- M. Chakrabarty,* S. Karmakar, A. Mukherji, S. Arima and Y. Harigaya, "Application of sulfamic acid as an eco-friendly catalyst in an expedient synthesis of benzimidazoles" - Heterocycles, 68, 967-974 (2006).
- M. Chakrabarty,* S. Karmakar and Y. Harigaya, "First isolation of both indolylcarbinols and diindolylalkanes from microwave-assisted acid (clay)-catalysed reaction of indoles with diethylketomalonate" -Heterocycles, 65, 37-48 (2005).
Life Member of Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (Membership No. 4698)