NSS Outreach Programme
The NSS Unit of Bethune College organized a programme on 15th December,2020. It was held in Centenary Hall of Kadambini Bhaban. Keeping in mind the Covid situation two representatives from Nalta Arindam Society which has an orphanage situated in Dumdum Cantonment area were invited. Old but usable clothes were handed over to them so that they can distribute these clothes among needy people.Around 50 children live there. Some food items like cake, chocolate etc were sent for their refreshments.
IQAC and NSS unit of Bethune college celebrates Sixth World Yoga Day on 21st June, 2020
Dr. Sridip Chatterjee, Assistant Professor, Department of Physical Education, Jadavpur University speaks on "Yoga: A Mind-Body Medicine for Positive Health" View in youTube
Yoga for Health-Yoga at Home
International Yoga Day is celebrated every year on 21st June.This year the theme is "Yoga for Health- Yoga at Home". Considering the prevailing situation the United Nations suggested this theme.The NSS Unit of Bethune College celebrates the occasion through the posters prepared by NSS volunteers. These posters depict different asanas and describe their benefits.
NSS Outreach Programme
The NSS unit of Bethune College jointly with the NGO, Nalta Arindam Welfare Society extended its support to the poor and downtrodden people. Specially, the children of Bamabgachi, Sajerhat and Sundarban were given baby food and other food items. Nalta Arindam Welfare Society took initiative to distribute them among those people. These activities took place from 6th May to 14th May 2020.
History of NSS
The National Service Scheme (NSS) is an Indian government-sponsored public service program conducted by the Department of Youth Affairs and Sports of the Government of India. Popularly known as NSS, the scheme was launched in Mahatma Gandhi's Centenary year, i.e. 1969. Aimed at developing student's personality through community service, NSS is a voluntary association of young people in Colleges and Universities. The NSS motto, very aptly is "NOT ME BUT YOU".
NSS Unit of the College
The NSS unit of Bethune College was formalized in 2006. Currently Dr. Hiroj Kumar Saha (Dept. of Zoology) is the teacher in charge of the unit and also the Programme Officer. The College maintains a very active NSS unit. The work done by the unit is divided into two subcategories -
- General Programmes - Those that are conducted throughout the year like various awareness programmes, blood donation camps, health camps, planting saplings, etc. These are mandatory activities that need to be performed by any NSS unit.
- Special Programmes - Special camps are organised generally on various developmental issues of national importance. They take up various programmes to promote the various national schemes currently prevalent. For e.g., one of the most important on-going scheme is "BetiBachao, BetiPadhao", to promote education among girls and stop female
Awards & Recognitions
During the years 2009 and 2013, the College has been awarded thrice for its NSS activities:
- In 2013, the College received the award of 'Sashibhusan'.
- In 2012, Bethune College was given the award of Best College for NSS activity.
- In 2010, it received the 'Sabita Gupta' Memorial Challenge Trophy for highest number of blood donors.
- Blood Donation Camp.
- Visit- Old Age Home/ Orphanage.
- Special Camp (for 7 days)- With emphasis on Gender Equality and Health Awareness among women.
- Thalassemia Awareness and detection Programme.
- Workshop on Waste Management.
- Poster Presentation in the National Seminar on Environmental Awareness and Contemporary issues.
- Outreach Programme- Distribution of old cloths in a nearby village.
- Celebration of 200th Anniversary of Vidyasagar.
- Green Initiative.
- Collection of old cloths from students, teachers and other staff of college.
- Awareness creation on Environmental degradation and use of plastic through
distribution of pamphlets on the day of AALAP, 2020.
Some NSS Activities are as follows:
Session 2015 - 2016
- Thalassemia awareness rally. Participated in association with Institute of Haematology & Transfusion, Medical College.
- Participation in "Anti-Drug Abuse Day" programme.
- Commemorating the Baleswar Battle by BaghaJatin by participating in a rally and organising a screening of a short documentary in association with Baleswar Martyrdom Committee.
- Organising a seminar on "General Awareness of Cancer".
- Special one week camp where the following
activities took place -
- A lecture on the need and importance of NSS
- AIDS awareness programme.
- A lecture on "Rabbies: A deadly disease".
- Work on "BetiBachao, BetiPadhao" - Child In Need of Institution (CINI), a Government of India initiative.
Session 2012 - 2013
- Several camps in slum areas including a Pulse Polio vaccination awareness camp, a Blood Donation camp, and a Seven day special camp on various issues including Cooking Gas Use and Safety Measures (in collaboration with Success Elevating Forum), Cancer and Women's awareness were organised.
- A seminar on Drugs and Youth, and an eye care camp were part of the special camp.
- Unit celebration of World Energy Day, Yuba Divas and World AIDS Day.
- Thalassemia awareness drive continued by arranging seminar and organising Thalassemia tests for the first year UG students.
- Workshop on Human Rights, in collaboration with International Association for Religious Freedom was organised.
Session 2011 - 2012
- Health check-up for women pavement dwellers.
- Blood tests for students in order to check Thalassemia (in collaboration with Chittaranjan Hospital, Kolkata Medical College, Nilratan Sarkar Medical College and School of Tropical Medicine).
- Tree plantation programme and a programme for boycotting polythene bags (in collaboration with Bodhana, an organisation working with differently abled children and orphans).