About the Department
"It is easy to lie with statistics. It's hard to tell the truth without it." - Andrejs Drunkels.
Department of Statistics was established in the year
2001. Initially, Undergraduate General-course was
offered for the Economics, Mathematics and Physics
Honours students. From 2015-16 Session, the
Department started offering 3 year Honours Degree
course in Statistics.
Presently the Department has four full-time teachers and one State Aided College Teacher -1. The Department has an excellent record of academic results. Many students have secured their position at the top of the University Merit-List. In Part-III Examination 2018 (our first batch) and also in Sem-I 2018, Sem-III-2019, our Department successfully produced University toppers.
Now-a-days, Statistics is becoming more and more interdisciplinary in nature, deriving its strength from various fields of research and applications. To keep pace with this trend, our Department is trying to contribute to the development of this subject by innovative teaching - learning with various research activities.
The Statistics department is endowed with good infrastructural facilities to meet the demand of the University of Calcutta.
- Library : Departmental Seminar Library has 216 books for the use of the students and the faculty.
- Computer Labotatory: Department has a well equipped computer laboratory with 15 computers, printer, Modern Software as per University syllabus.
The faculty members are actively involved in research and teaching activities, apart from their regular duties in college. The research areas are versatile in character in various areas of Statistics and its multi-disciplinary components; such as
- Big Data Analysis, Astrostatistics, Multivariate Multisample Non-parametric Inference, Applied Multivariate Analysis, Linear and Non-linear Optimization, Stepwise Regression Analysis, Independent Component Analysis.
- Inventory Control
- Study of stellar and integrated Galactic initial Mass Function through Statistical Simulation, Modelling and Data Analysis .
- Measurement issues in behavioural sciences, particularly in psychology and education, Exploratory Data Analysis,
Survey Sampling specially in randomized response.
One of our faculty member Dr. Sujan Chandra Completed UGC Minor Research Project titled "The comparative cost performance study of some inventory models with price discount on backorders and permissible delay in payments in different demand environment", 2017.
The teachers of the Department also participate in various workshops, seminars etc. Also they have contributed in research articles in National and International journals. The Department motivates students to give seminars to enhance their analytical skills.